About Me

The simple life of a foreigner lost in Cape Town... read about what's hot, what's not, where to go and what to do or eat!!

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Superette in Woodstock

Superette recently moved their restaurant to the hippest new location: The Woodstock Exchange and every one has been raving about their food.. So as a breakfast avid, I ought to try in out.
This is my experience:
I love Woodstock so always keen to try new places but being French, I can be very critical and being Polish makes me very acquainted with breakfast.

I always enjoy a spot that has a unique deco and vibe and Superette certainly meet those criteria; there is that certain buzz about the place, like a bee hive of people catching up on life in a simple yet warm surrounding. 

Not sure if we missed breakfast just after 11 but we were offered a brunch menu and to my delightfully watering mouth, there had a form of eggs Benedict! I was in the right place :) 
With an extra portion of those giant mushrooms, my dish looked delish! The perfect way to please a hungry woman, or at least a hungry me!

With only one egg covered in Hollandaise though, I wondered weather this was served as such or weather they might just have ran out of sauce... one has to wonder..

None the less, it looked great, so couldn't wait to dig in... and to my greatest disappointment, it was "Bof". And "bof" in French simply means "barely a so-so" as if nothing special. The sour dough bread was too thick and crispy and was hard to cut through, the hollandaise sauce was too watery and blend, and the bacon, not cooked enough and just fat literally.  A big flop for me indeed!
 

My partner in crime has a breakfast sandwich and encountered the same bread problem (so wasn't just mine) and his scrambled eggs were watered down to one egg and 500 ml of milk mixed together! Personally, I never understood this method of stretching the egg to increase the quantity of scrambled "stuff" - We called it egg, cuz should be as said, just scrambled eggs and not scrambled milk and egg, no?




So overall experience is a Bof, that's as much as I can say! But environment is great and there is lots to see at the exchange! If you have a kid, stop by "Frekkles" great kids clothing store!

The hearty breakfasts served at this trendy establishment will set you back around R50; morning meals are served Mondays to Fridays, between 8am and 3:30pm; and Saturdays from 8am – 2pm.
66 Albert Road | Woodstock | Cape Town | + 27 (0) 21 802 5525

1 comment:

  1. What a pity re your breakfast experience. I've had the best breakfast ever at Superette (French toast. Twice) and am raving about it to everyone. But then again I also enjoy really thick and crispy sourdough bread, so maybe I should refer people to your blog after my raving so they don't get only my biased opinion.

    ReplyDelete